Friday, October 17, 2008

England Eights

I was reading a friend's blog, and she didn't tag me specifically to do this and pass it on, but I thought it would be fun to do my own set of eights. So, here goes!

8 TV (BBC) Shows I Love to Watch:
1. The Restaurant. It's a reality TV show with a bunch of couples competing to open a restaurant with Raymond Blanc. I love the ups and downs, the ridiculous challenges, and of course the food.
2. Masterchef: The Professionals. A bunch of semi-professional chefs competing for the title of Masterchef (and a great job afterward). The season finished a few weeks ago, though, which makes me sad.
3. Strictly Come Dancing. It's the British version of Dancing with the Stars, and I've gotten into it. I used to really dislike ballroom, but it's growing on me.
4. Merlin. It's a cheesy-ish family drama-type show about teenage Merlin trying to get along with teenage Arthur and learn magic and such. Enjoyable fluff.
5. Fawlty Towers. Finally I'm surrounded by people who know and love this show! The funny thing is, here everyone knows it but it's never on the air. In the States, few people know about it but it actually is broadcast on PBS every once in a while.
6. LazyTown. A kid's show I've caught a couple of times and laughed heartily about. Aimed to encourage exercise, the hero of the show is Sportacus, and his favorite things to eat are sports candy, i.e. fruits and vegetables. Bright, manic (in a sporty way), and containing catchy pop songs.
7. The World's Strictest Parents. Another reality TV show, in which spoilt British teens (yes, American teens aren't the only ones!) are sent to very strict households in different countries like India, Ghana, and Jamaica. So fun to laugh at their nonplussed reactions ("Chores? Ew!") and to see them get a change of attitude.
8. The Eggheads. A game show on about the time I start making dinner, in which a team of trivia masters compete against challenging teams of regular joes. I like seeing if I can get the questions right.

Note: If you want to check them out, you can find most of these BBC shows on the BBC iPlayer.

8 Things That Happened Yesterday:
1. Rode on a double-decker bus. So fun, especially since the roads here are so narrow; when you're sitting at the front you feel like you're going to crash into the buildings across the street when you turn corners!
2. Walked along the river Cam and crossed a bridge over it (thus, Cambridge).


3. Bought a Cambridge University hoodie at the open-air marketplace, so now I look like a student, haha.
4. Looked at the chapel at King's College. So beautiful!
5. Had a good chat with a friend who used to live in the ward back home (Sis. Lund). She's the one who took me out to Cambridge, for which I'm very grateful.
6. Went to institute and, for the first time in my institute experience, there were more guys than girls there.
7. Took a nap on my couch.
8. Did some writing, of course!

8 Favorite Places to Eat:
1. The Ship Inn, in Dunwich (pronounced "Dannich"). It's near the coast (falling into it more year by year, actually), so you can get really fresh fish and chips there. Yummy!


2. Indian restaurants. Chicken tikka masala is pretty much a staple of the English diet these days. I really enjoyed the Indian food I had in Bath.
3. Marketplace stalls. On market days in Bury St. Edmunds (Wednesdays and Saturdays), I like to get a little something from a snack shack (that's what I say, can't remember what the Brits call them) to eat while I wander around looking at all the stalls and goods. Usually I get a little cheeseburger. The Brits usually don't put anything in with the meat and cheese than caramelized onion and condiments, which I thought was interesting. Still pretty tasty.
4. Pret a Manger. An extremely green restaurant, focusing on soups and sandwiches to take away or eat in. I think I've mentioned it before. I like their focus on pure, fresh ingredients, and I've enjoyed everything I've had there.
5. At home. It's nice to have time to cook and my own kitchen to do it in. Saves money!

Places I really miss:
6. Wendy's. Or rather, going to Wendy's with Vanessa and Lisa!!
7. Cafe Rio, my I've-had-a-crappy-day,-I'm-eating-out place.
8. The Olive Garden, the old classic family treat.

8 Things I Am Looking Forward To:
1. Stake conference this weekend.
2. Getting rides to institute for a couple more weeks with new friends.
3. Seeing some more sights with Rachel the week before I leave.
4. Having breakfast at the B&B with Mark and Kay Dewsbury, now such good friends.
5. Arriving at the airport in Albuquerque, having survived customs, flights, security, and heavy luggage.
6. Having my car back. Oh Honda-San, I miss you so . . .
7. Thanksgiving and Christmas at home!
8. Finishing this manuscript!!

8 Things on My Wish List:
1. The exchange rate to be better between dollars and pounds sterling. Sigh.
2. More motivation and self-discipline.
3. Hero of Ages, the last Mistborn book. I gotta know how it ends!
4. Two or three people to sing a cappella with me. I love the sound of tight harmonies a cappella, and I miss my singing roommates and friends.
5. Time and means to finish/spruce up my dollhouse back home.
6. A completed manuscript and an interested publisher to hand it to.
7. Better posture.
8. A kitten!

2 comments:

Meglen said...

Hey! I'm the friend whose blog you read! Oh, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, ain't it? How much longer have you got on the other side of the ocean?

Aye Spy said...

Yep! I thought it was a neat idea, and I had fun reading your lists. :)

I only have two weeks left, I'm going home the day before the big vote. It's going by so dang fast!