Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Walk Around the Village

My home base for the rest of this stay in England is in a little village in East Anglia called Beyton. There are loads of these tiny villages all over the place. I'm staying in a self-accommodating flat attached to a bed and breakfast. I don't get free breakfasts, but I have a fully-equipped kitchen so I don't have to go to restaurants for every meal. I'm used to having my own bedroom, but for this trip I have an entire apartment all to myself, and I am LOVING it.

The proprietors of the bed and breakfast, M. and K. Dewsbury, are very helpful and kind, and since they're right next door we see each other often. They drive into Bury St. Edmunds (a larger town nearby) two or three times a week, and often I go with them. I'll definitely be posting more about Bury St. Ed's in the next few weeks.

Also, I attend the Bury St. Edmunds Ward and have been enjoying new friendships with Church members. This ward is about half British, half American, because a lot of US Air Force personnel live within the ward boundaries, which is nice because I appreciate being among fellow Americans, but weird at the same time because people assume I'm connected with the military, and everyone is so used to Americans coming and going that it's easy to be overlooked. Again, I'll be writing more about Church activities and such as the weeks pass.

Right now I want to show you how beautiful the English countryside is. In spite of transportation difficulties, I really wanted to stay in the country and soak up the greenery of England's fields and forests. There's a circular walk that makes almost a figure eight loop around the village, and I went and took a bunch of pictures. So, want to go on a walk around the village with me? Come along!

5 comments:

Momof8 said...

Ryan will recognize and remember those berries. We used to eat them on the way to and from school in Hollesley.

Thanks for the wonderful trip around Beyton. I felt like I was walking beside you! (Interesting LOTR references, too!)

Kate The Great said...

Yep. Your hair loves England. It's gorgeous in every shot.

And you've always loved little flowers. Small tiny things.

It looks like I'll be sneezing in England, if I ever get there; apparantly, all the Twitchells are allergic to the juniper. Blech.

Vae Gannon said...

It seems as if you are having a jolly-good-time jaunting around the English countryside taking pictures, quoting LOTR, and getting writing inspiration. Lucky!

Stephanie said...

Your pictures are beautiful and you look fabulous. It doesn't surprise me that your pictures are totally professional; why not for a professional artist and writer?! I love reading about all your adventures...

Brentus said...

Those pictures reminded me so much of what I saw in Germany. Street signs on buildings, cars parked in the middle of the road on the sidewalk, houses sharing roofs and walls, old churches, oh yeah.