Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The First Leg

I was actually more worried about the ten-hour drive to Albuquerque than I was/am about the however-many-hour flight to England coming up tomorrow. I've made the drive several times before, but this was the first time by myself.

Actually, it was no sweat! I forgot that almost every other time I've driven this route, it's been icy and snowing. Last Christmas I drove through a couple of total white-outs. (Never again, I tell you. Never.) It was so much more relaxing to drive on lovely, clear, summer roads. In fact, I felt so confident that I deviated from my accustomed course and went through Durango, which was gorgeous. Only had to turn around once.

The biggest help, gotta say, was a book on CD that my grandma let me borrow. So much better for distraction than music. By the end of the trip I felt more relaxed than I usually did in past trips with other people taking turns at the wheel. Thanks, Grandma!

I've had fun spending a few days with the fam, and tomorrow I head out to England, arriving Thursday morning, their time. All my stuff is strewn across the living room, and I feel like my brain is divided into that many pieces as I try to gather what I'll need for the next two months. So much to do!

1 comment:

Momof8 said...

I don't know if you remember or not, but we used to always go through Durango on our way to and from our trips to Utah. We'd eat lunch there. I believe we ate our first "raisin-bread-apple-cheese" sandwiches there. The area around Durango is delightfully green and truly makes the Utah drive in summertime more enjoyable! I don't suggest it for winter travel unless you have chains.