Sunday, April 19, 2009

Manor Flat and the Dewsburys

To reward the two or three faithful people who still visit this place, here's an article long in coming. I feel like a bit of an ingrate to be posting it so late, but there it is. Better late than never, right?


This is me with Mark and Kay Dewsbury, proprietors of Manor House, a lovely bed and breakfast in Beyton, and Manor Flat, the apartment attached to the bed and breakfast, where I made my home for two months. As well as being good hosts, providing me with lots of maps and information about local attractions, they were very kind to me. Mark gave me a lift each week to Sainsbury's for groceries, and I'd look over the kipper and fancy things he bought for the bed and breakfast patrons while he'd shake his head over how little I had in my trolley. Then we'd go to Bury St. Edmunds every Saturday, since Wednesdays and Saturdays were market days in town. Sometimes, after we'd done our separate errands, we'd meet up for coffee (and hot chocolate for me). Once they took me along to Cambridge (so I went twice, once with them, sans camera, and once with an American friend).

I'm pretty sure they thought I was as strange as many folks here at home did. What was I doing, a young single girl, off in England by herself? And why wasn't I the usual sort of tourist, bouncing around from place to place? Whether they found me odd or not, they were always kind and accommodating, making sure I always had something to eat and that I was always alright. Kay often said, "Okay, Sarah?" It took me a few times to realize she wasn't asking me if I agreed with something, she just wanted to know if I was okay.


This is me on the last morning at Manor Flat. Mark, who worked for several years as a professional chef, made me a full English breakfast, which contains more food than any one person can possibly eat, but tastes quite good overall. Toast, roasted tomatoes, mushrooms, hash browns, scrambled eggs, thick bacon, sausages, and black pudding . . .


This is to show that I did take a bite of the black pudding. It actually wasn't half bad; it was more the concept that I disagreed with than the taste.

They're very modest and would never brag about themselves, so I'm going to do a little, if you don't mind. While I was there they won an award for the Best Bed & Breakfast or Guesthouse in Suffolk from Tourism in Suffolk 2008. So Mark donned a tux (though he doesn't like dressing up) and Kay a fancy dress and went to the awards banquet. (Shhh, don't tell them, but here's a picture of them getting the award.) It was a big deal, and I was happy for them. Of course, this is only in addition to five stars from AA and several awards from a leading tourism website, enjoyengland.com.

This is the official site for their bed and breakfast, including some details about Manor Flat, if you're ever in East Anglia and want a good place to stay: www.beyton.com.

Thanks, Mark and Kay, for helping me have a wonderful experience in England!

1 comment:

Momof8 said...

I just barely noticed you have a new post! I'm so glad you have so many good memories of good people and places in England.